SP Business Car #109 "Shasta"
(restoration)

During the summer of 2016 we began the ambitious process of restoring SP 109. Right away we realized the entire roof would have to be replaced as it leaked heavily in our first Spring rainstorm shortly after its arrival. At the end of 2016 the BBCRC produced a report on the progress of the effort to date. After sealing the car up for what turned out to be an epic winter of 2016-17, with some of the heaviest snowfalls and rain amounts seen in years, we began further work on the car in the Spring of 2017. Starting in July a volunteer carpenter, Mike Alford from Austin, Texas, came to do a 2-3 month "residency" to coordinate the restoration work over the rest of the summer. This is allowing for significant progress to be made on the exterior of the car.

While the restoration of this car is being done with volunteer labor, it is still an expensive process. We have had to purchase many thousands of dollars worth of materials already and are just getting started. Most of the car's ornate windows will need to be replaced and, once we complete the exterior, the interior will also require extensive work to make it a functional space that honors the history of the car. To date this project has benefited from a number of generous donors. However, to sustain the project over the next couple years we will need many more donations of both money and volunteer labor. Please be in contact if you would like to assist with the restoration work. For financial support see our Helping Out page. You can target a donation by check or online to "SP109" and all of your donation will go to this project. Thanks to everyone who has been assisting with this project!

Shasta car restoration

 

Shasta car restoration

 

Shasta car restoration

 

Shasta car restoration

 

Shasta car restoration

 

Shasta car restoration

 

Shasta car restoration

 

Shasta car restoration

 

to Project Report 2016